a non-profit 501 (c) (3) corporation
PoetryXchange is a non-profit organization founded in 2003 to marshal the professional skills of
writers and artists in empowering at-risk individuals through poetry-based educational activities,
publication and community events.
On the level of individual participants, poetryXchange aims to:
- develop critical reading and thinking skills,
- build discussion, oral and written communication skills,
- develop visual composition skills (photography),
- offer opportunities for public speaking,
- nurture professional leadership skills,
- increase self-knowledge,
- promote self-determination,
- foster an appreciation for multiple perspectives,
- model a perceptive and attentive relationship with the world,
- raise multi-cultural awareness, understanding and empathy,
- provide a forum for public awareness,
- give voice to marginalized individuals.
On the community level, poetryXchange aims to:
- improve communication within and between groups traditionally separated by cultural, geographic and socio-economic barriers,
- provide public events and experiences that help build community interaction,
- provide important information for those who make and/or influence public policy.